You're now up and running and ready to start using your new marketing technology platform, but simply using it isn’t going to change things overnight. The truth is, you’re asking for help from a marketing technology platform that requires more than just choosing a partner and turning it “on”. You must also change the behavior of your staff and your clients. We’ve put together some tips on how you can do that.
Your staff must be on board first. You took the right steps by partnering with someone to achieve that specific goal; whether it’s to truly understand and increase your compliance, to get your front desk staff off the phone or to finally put an end to your relationship with the fax machine. But the truth is, your marketing technology partner’s platform wont work well unless your team believes in it. This means your entire staff must spend the first few months embracing the changes you've made. How?
- Train your staff to mention your new technology to clients when they sign-in and collect valid email addresses and mobile phone numbers from ALL clients.
- Train your techs and veterinarians who call with lab work/results and request a follow-up appointment to mention your new technology (e.g.: "You don’t have to book the follow-up over phone in the future. Our mobile app is free and you can book your appointment later tonight if you’d like.").
- Talk about it enthusiastically when clients are checking out. Give them a reason to book their next appointment online or through your new mobile app!
- Put any promotional materials for your new technology in their check-out bag or staple it to their receipt.
Your clients’ behavior needs to change. Changing a client’s behavior is hard, we’re not going to lie. But if you’re making the effort to partner with a marketing technology company to help with this change and your staff is actively excited and talking about it, your clients are going to listen. Sure there are some clients who will never use the great tools you've provided to them, but the majority will happily embrace new technology because it’s easier and more convenient for them. All you have to do is make sure they’re aware of it and making an attempt to utilize it. A few tips to help change their behavior include:
- Put up all the promotional materials given to you by your marketing technology company in the waiting room and exam rooms.
- Post on social media about your new mobile app or online booking tool.
- Have your staff tell clients about specifics of the new tool that would be helpful to them. For example, they can access their medical records 24/7 in case of an emergency. Or if you’re referring them to a specialist, tell them to download the app so they have their records to easily share between practices. Explain that they can request refills or set-up notifications to remind them to give their pet medication. Speaking to them about features that show the value of technology will increase their likelihood to change their behavior and start utilizing it.
- Update any “on-hold” or overnight recordings to state that if they’re waiting to book an appointment, they can avoid the wait and download the app or visit the website to book any time.